Kishore Gopalakrishna Pillai
Email-ID : email@example.com
Professor Kishore holds a Ph. D. from Florida State University and an MBA from IIM Calcutta. Previously, he held academic positions in several leading British universities, including full professorial appointments at the Bradford University School of Management and the Norwich Business School, University of East Anglia. He has also served as the Dean of the ASB. His research focus is on consumer knowledge, social networks and retailing. His papers have been published in leading journals such as the Journal of Retailing, Research Policy, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Journal of Product Innovation Management, British Journal of Management, Thinking and Reasoning, Journal of Business Research, etc. He is on the editorial boards of Journal of Business Research & Industrial Marketing Management. His research has attracted funding from the British Academy. He has edited special issues of journals, chaired several conference tracks and given keynote/plenary speeches at international conferences. Prior to his academic career, Kishore served in the industry and has been a senior project manager with TNS India and the Market Analyst at Arvind Brands Limited. In 2008, Professor Kishore was awarded the Brand Leadership Award at the Asia Brand Congress 2008, in recognition of contributions to the marketing profession. In 2019, Professor Kishore was awarded the Amity Global Academic Excellence Award, in recognition of contributions to academia.
Professor Kishore currently serves as a member of the ETS Business School Advisory Council (India), an Advisory Board Member of the Africa-Asia Centre for Sustainability, University of Aberdeen, UK and as an assessor of the Australian Research Council.
- Ph.D. in Marketing, Florida State University, August 2005
- M.B.A., Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta, 1994.
- B.A. (Economics), University of Kerala, 1992.
Work Experience (Research /Teaching)
- Research Professor, ASB Kochi, June 2022-June 2022.
- Dean, Amrita School of Business Coimbatore and Bengaluru, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore, September 2021-May 2022.
- Associate Dean and Professor of Marketing, Amrita School of Business, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore, Sep 2019 to August 2021.
- Professor of Retail and Marketing, Norwich Business School, University of East Anglia, August 2016 – July 2019.
- Professor of Marketing, Bradford University School of Management, May 2014 – July 2016
- Reader in Marketing, Aston Business School, September 2011-April 2014
- Senior Lecturer in Marketing, Leeds University Business School, 2009-2011
- Lecturer in Marketing, Leeds University Business School, 2005-2009
- Six years in the industry, mainly in market research. Positions held include Research Executive and Senior Research Executive in Indian Market Research Bureau, Project Manager and Senior Project Manager in MBL Research and Consulting Group (currently TNS India), and Market Analyst in Arvind Brands Limited (at the rank of National Manager).
- Hadjichristidis, C., Geipel, J., & Gopalakrishna Pillai, K. (2021). Diversity effects in subjective probability judgment. Thinking & Reasoning, 1-30.
- Gligor, D. M., Pillai, K. G., & Golgeci, I. (2021). Theorizing the dark side of business-to-business relationships in the era of AI, big data, and blockchain. Journal of Business Research, 133, 79-88. ABS 3
- Pillai, K. G., & Nair, S. R. (2021). The effect of social comparison orientation on luxury purchase intentions. Journal of Business Research, 134, 89-100. ABS 3
- Nair, S. R., Pillai, K. G., & Demirbag, M. (2020). Reaping benefits from knowledge transfer–the role of confidence in knowledge. Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 25 No. 5, pp. 1059-1080.
- Ovuakporie, O. D., Pillai, K. G., Wang, C., & Wei, Y. (2021). Differential moderating effects of strategic and operational reconfiguration on the relationship between open innovation practices and innovation performance. Research Policy, 50(1), 104146. ABS 4*
- Pillai, Kishore Gopalakrishna and Charles Hofacker (2020). Comparing the measures of consumer knowledge calibration. European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 54 No. 5, pp. 979-998. ABS 3
- Hofacker, Charles, Ismail Golgeci, Kishore Gopalakrishna Pillai, and David Gligor (2020). Digital Marketing and Business-to-Business Relationships: A Close Look at the Interface and a Roadmap for the Future. European Journal of Marketing Vol. 54 No. 6, pp. 1161-1179. ABS 3
- Golossenko, Artyom, Kishore Gopalakrishna Pillai and Lukman Aroean (2020). Seeing Brands as Humans: Development and Validation of Brand Anthropomorphism Scale. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 37(4), 737-755. ABS 4
- Pillai, K. G., Liang, Y. S., Thwaites, D., Sharma, P., & Goldsmith, R. (2019). Regulatory focus, nutrition involvement, and nutrition knowledge. Appetite, 137, 267-273.
- Pillai, K. G., Leonidou, C., & Bian, X. (2018). Let’s Be Friends: National Homophily in Multicultural Newcomer Student Networks. Social Networking, 8(01), 16-38.
- Nair, S.R., M. Demirbag, K. Mellahi, and K. Gopalakrishna Pillai (2017) Do parent units benefit from reverse knowledge transfer? British Journal of Management, 29 (3), 428-444. ABS 4
- Sharma, Piyush, Nebojsa S. Davcik, and Kishore Gopalakrishna Pillai (2016), "Product innovation as a mediator in the impact of R&D expenditure and brand equity on marketing performance," Journal of Business Research, 69 (12), 5662-5669. ABS 3
- Pillai, K. G., G. P. Hodgkinson, G. Kalyanaram and S. R. Nair (2016), “The negative effects of social capital in organisations: a review and extension”, International Journal of Management Reviews, 19 (1), 97-124. ABS 3
- Pillai, Kishore Gopalakrishna, Michael Brusco, Ronald Goldsmith, and Charles Hofacker (2015), “Consumer Knowledge Discrimination”, European Journal of Marketing, 49 (1/2), 82-100. ABS 3
- Evanschitzky, H., Iyer, G. R., Pillai, K. G., Kenning, P. and Schütte, R. (2015), Consumer Trial, Continuous Use, and Economic Benefits of a Retail Service Innovation: The Case of the Personal Shopping Assistant. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 32: 459–475. doi: 10.1111/jpim. ABS 4
- Pillai, Kishore Gopalakrishna (2014), “Range of Confidence Scale and Consumer Knowledge Calibration,” Psychological Reports, 109, 1, 127-136.
- Meng-Lewis, Yue, Des Thwaites and Kishore Gopalakrishna Pillai (2014), “Effectiveness of Olympic Sponsorship by Foreign and Domestic Companies” International Journal of Sports Marketing & Sponsorship, 15, 2, 107-123.
- Meng-Lewis, Yue, Des Thwaites, and Kishore Gopalakrishna Pillai (2013), “Consumers’ Responses to Sponsorship by Foreign Companies”, European Journal of Marketing, 47, 11/12, 1910-1930. ABS 3
- Pillai, Kishore Gopalakrishna and V. Kumar (2012), “The Differential Effects of Value Consciousness and Coupon Proneness on Consumers’ Persuasion Knowledge of Pricing Tactics,” Journal of Retailing, 88, 1, 20-33. ABS 4
- Pillai, Kishore Gopalakrishna, Constantine Katsikeas, and Caterina Presi (2012), “Print Advertising: Typesize Effects”, Journal of Business Research, 65, 6, 865-868. ABS 3
- Pillai, Kishore Gopalakrishna, Ronald Goldsmith and Michael Giebelhausen (2011), “Negative Moderating Effect of General Self Efficacy on the Relationship between Need for Cognition and Cognitive Effort,” Psychological Reports, 109, 1, 127-136.
- Pillai, Kishore Gopalakrishna and Soonhong Min (2010), “A Firm’s Capability to Calibrate Supply Chain Knowledge”. Industrial Marketing Management, 39, 8, 1365-1375. ABS 3
- Pillai, Kishore Gopalakrishna (2010), “Managers Perceptual Errors Revisited: The Role of Knowledge Calibration”, British Journal of Management, 21, 2, 299-312. ABS 4
- Pillai, Kishore Gopalakrishna and Ronald Goldsmith (2008), “How Brand Attribute Typicality and Consumer Commitment Moderate the Influence of Comparative Advertising”, Journal of Business Research, 61, 9, 933-941. ABS 3
- Pillai, Kishore Gopalakrishna and Charles Hofacker (2007), “Calibration of Consumer Knowledge of the Web”, International Journal of Research in Marketing, 24, 254-267. ABS 4
- Pillai, Kishore Gopalakrishna and Ronald Goldsmith (2006), “Calibrating Managerial Knowledge of Customer Feedback Measures: A Conceptual Model”, Marketing Theory, 6, 2, 223-243. ABS 3
- Pillai, Kishore Gopalakrishna (2006), “Networks and Competitive Advantage: A Synthesis and Extension”, Journal of Strategic Marketing, 14, 2, 129-145.
- Giunipero, Larry, Kishore Gopalakrishna Pillai, Stephen Chapman, and Ronald Clarke (2005), “A Longitudinal Examination of JIT Purchasing Practices”,International Journal of Logistics Management, 16, 1, 51-70.
- Pillai, Kishore Gopalakrishna and Arun Sharma (2003), “Mature Relationships: Why Does Relational Orientation Turn into Transactional Orientation?” Industrial Marketing Management, 32, 8, 643-651. ABS 3
- Sharma, Arun and Kishore Gopalakrishna Pillai (2003), “The Impact of Transactional and Relational Strategies in Business Markets: An Agenda for Inquiry”, Industrial Marketing Management, 32, 8, 623-626. ABS 3
- Pillai, Kishore Gopalakrishna and Arun Sharma (2003), “The Survival of Internet Based B2B Exchanges: The Critical Role of Relationships”, Journal of Relationship Marketing, 2, ¾, 53-67.
Book Chapters and Reports
- Nair, S. R.., Budhwar, P. and Pillai, K. G. (2016), “Organisational Innovation in Indian Firms – Catalysts & Dampeners”. Book Chapter in Human Resource Management, Innovation and Performance: Looking across Levels. Edited by Shipton, H., Budhwar, P., Sparrow, P and Bimrose, J. Palgrave Publishers Ltd.
- Goldsmith, Ronald E. and Kishore Gopalakrishna Pillai (2009), “Knowledge Calibration”, in Encyclopaedia of Knowledge Management, Idea Group Inc.
- Goldsmith, Ronald E. and Kishore Gopalakrishna Pillai (2006), “Knowledge Calibration”, in Encyclopaedia of Knowledge Management, Idea Group Inc, 311-316.
- Donovan, J.A, E.K. Pellegrini, K.G. Pillai, J. Rossomme, and C.S. Schriesheim (2004), Methods in Leadership in The Nature of Leadership, Ed. J. Antonakis, A. Cianciolo, and R. Sternberg. Thousand Oaks, CA:Sage.
- Pillai, Kishore Gopalakrishna and Arun Sharma (2003), “The Survival of Internet Based B2B Exchanges: The Critical Role of Relationships,” In Customer Relationship Management in Electronic Markets, David Bejou and Gopalakrishnan R. Iyer (Eds.). Haworth Press.
- Pillai, Kishore Gopalakrishna, Melanie Provost and Pan Yue (2001), “Marketing to and Serving Customers Through the Internet” Conference Summary, George Zinkhan (editor), MSI Report No.01.12
Conferences / MDPs Organised / FDPs Organised
- Co-chair of Entrepreneurship and Small Business Track, World Marketing Congress 2009, Oslo.
- Co-chair of International Marketing Track, annual conference of the Academy of Marketing Science 2016, Orlando, FL.
- Co-chair of the Relationship Marketing Track, annual conference of the Academy of Marketing Science 2018, New Orleans.
- Co-chair of Retailing Track, World Marketing Congress 2019, Edinburgh.
- Co-chair of Retailing Track, World Marketing Congress 2020, Brisbane.
Awards And Achievements
- AIM Scholar – 2006-2008
- College of Business graduate fellowship, Florida State University 2000-2001, 2003-2005.
- Nominated for university fellowship, FSU, 2001-2002, 2003-2004, 2004-2005.
- National Talent Search Scholarship, Government of India, 1986-1994 (< .2% acceptance)
- Upper secondary scholarship, Government of Kerala, India, 1983-1986.
Presentation in Conference Panels
- Issues in pricing research (along with Russ Winer NYU, Gurumurthy Kalyanaram, TISS & IUJ, and Heiner Evanschitzky, Aston Business School. Presented at the World Marketing Congress, Bari, Italy, July 2015
Research Funding awarded
- Discretionary funding from Coventry University 2017- £ 6300 -Managerial thinking styles and firm performance (PI)
- British Academy small grant- -Innovation in IT firms: (Principal investigator) 2015 - £9967
- KEEN Project –Replacement Services (Principal investigator) 2012 - £62134
- (The project did not start due to company issues; funding lapsed)
- ABS visiting scholar grant (competitive) - £ 600
- LUBS seedcorn research grant 2008 (competitive) - £ 1700
- LUBS seedcorn research grant 2006 (competitive) - £ 1000
- External examiner for Masters Programme in Marketing, Warwick Business School, November 2012- October 2016
- External examiner for Masters Programme in Marketing, Brunel Business School, September 2014 – December 2018
Editing of special issues
- Coeditor of a special issue of Industrial Marketing Management (2003) on Transactions versus Relationships.
- Coeditor of a special issue of Psychology and Marketing on Consumer Knowledge in a Knowledge Based World, 2014 (Issue cancelled; accepted papers published in general issues).
- Coeditor of a special issue of European Journal of Marketing (2019) on Digital Marketing and B2B Relationships.
- Editorial board member – Industrial Marketing Management (2008 onwards)
- Editorial board member – Journal of Business Research (2011 onwards)
- Editorial board member - Journal of Consumer Marketing (2015 onwards)
- University Second Rank, BA, 1992 (out of over 3000)
- Fourth Rank, Kerala State Engineering Entrance, 1988 (out of over 20,000)
- GMAT score (2000) – 770/800
- Consumers’ Confidence in their Knowledge: Implications for Brand Management. Invited talk delivered at the 17th Asia Brand Congress, Mumbai, Sep 25-26, 2008.
- Invited talk at the Sheffield University Management School delivered on Oct 10, 2012
- Invited talk at DCSMAT, a leading business school in Kerala, India, Jan 2013
- Plenary speaker at the International Conference on Technology Management organized by NMIMS University Mumbai, January 2013.
- Invited Keynote Speaker, Annual PhD conference, Hull University Business School, December 2013.
- Invited talk at Glasgow Caledonian University, London, October 2014
- Invited talk at TIM, a leading business school in Kerala, India, December 2014
- Invited talk at Henley Business School, April 2015
- Plenary speaker at the 10th International conference, IFIM business school, Bangalore, India, February 2016
- Plenary speaker at the Global Marketing Conference (April 2016), Academy of Marketing, UK.
- Invited talk at Durham University Business School, June 2016
- Invited talk at the Coventry University business School, May 2017.
- Keynote speech at CIBOC, a two-day international conference organised by BSSS, Bhopal, India, February 2018.
- Invited talk at the Kent business School, University of Kent, February 2018.
- Invited talk at the workshop on ‘food and consumers’ at the University of Kent, April 2018.
- Plenary speaker (Skype) at the 18th International Business Congress held at the Osmaniye Korkut Ata University (OKU), Osmaniye, Turkey, May 2019.
- Invites talk on Sustainability Marketing at the Sustainability & Beyond Colloquium series hosted by Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham’s UNESCO Chair on Experiential Learning for Sustainable Innovation and Development and Amrita School for Sustainable Development, November 2021.
- Invited talk on AI in Marketing and Management at a webinar by Asianet (live in facebook), Feburary 2022 (Over 100000 views in Facebook).