Dr. Smitha Nair
Email-ID : email@example.com
Smitha Nair is an Associate Professor in Strategy & International Business at the Rajagiri Business School. Prior to this, she was a faculty at Management School, University of Sheffield (UK) and University of East Anglia (UK). Her research interests include cross border knowledge flows in multinationals, organizational innovation & internationalization patterns of emerging market firms. She has authored/coauthored book chapters and scholarly articles in leading journals like British Journal of Management, International Business Review, Management International Review and International Journal of Management Reviews. She is also on the Editorial Board of Journal of Knowledge Management.Smitha joined academics following a 11 year stint as a software consultant, managing strategic IT portfolios for large multinationals. Her education includes PhD in International Business & Strategy, University of Sheffield; Master of Technology from Indian Institute of Technology (Bombay, India) and Bachelor of Technology from National Institute of Technology (Calicut, India).
- PhD in Strategy & International Business (University of Sheffield, UK)
- Master of Technology (IIT, Bombay)
- Bachelor of Technology (NIT, Calicut)
Work Experience (Research /Teaching)
- Associate Professor, Rajagiri School of Management (October 2019 to present)
- Associate Professor (August 2019-September 2019) & Assistant Professor (Jan 2017 – August 2019), Norwich Business School, University of East Anglia, UK
- Assistant Professor/Lecturer (Jan 2014-December 2016), Sheffield University Management School, University of Sheffield, UK
- Software Engineer/Consultant (1998-2009)
Area of Interest (Research /Teaching)
- Organizational Innovation & Social Innovation
- Knowledge Transfers in Organizations & Strategic Agility
- Emerging markets firms
- Inter-organizational collaborations & networks
- Nair, S. R., Demirbag, M. and Mellahi, K. (2015), “Reverse Knowledge Transfer from Overseas Acquisitions: A Survey of Indian MNEs”, Management International Review, 55(2), p. 277-301. (ABDC A/ABS 3)
- Nair, S. R., Demirbag, M. and Mellahi, K (2016), “Reverse Knowledge Transfer in Emerging Market Multinationals: The Indian Context”, International Business Review, 25(1), p. 152-164. (ABDC A/ABS 3)
- Pillai, K. G., Hodgkinson, G. P., Kalyanaram, G. and Nair, S. R. (2017), “The negative effects of social capital in organizations: A review and extension”, International Journal of Management Reviews, 19(1), p. 97–124. (ABDC A/ABS 3)
- Nair, S. R., Demirbag, M., Mellahi, K. & Pillai, K. G. (2018), “Do Parent Units Benefit from Reverse Knowledge Transfer?” British Journal of Management. 29(3), p. 428-444. (ABDC A/ABS 4)
- Kingshott, R. P. J., Sharma, P. & Nair, S. R. (2020), "Social and technical chains-of-effects in business-to-business (B2B) service relationships", European Journal of Marketing, 54(6), p. 1225-1246. (ABDC A*/ABS 3)
- Nair, S. R., Pillai, K. G. & Demirbag, M. (2020), “Reaping benefits from knowledge transfer – the role of confidence in knowledge”, Journal of Knowledge Management (forthcoming). (ABDC A/ABS 2)
- Nair, S. R. and Demirbag, M, (2016), “Indian Multinationals: Location Choices of overseas mergers and acquisitions”, Handbook of Emerging Market MNCs ed. Demirbag, M. and Yaprak, A. Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Nair, S. R., Pillai, K. G., Hirekhan, M. and Budhwar, P. (2016), “Organisational Innovation in Indian Firms – Catalysts & Deterrents”. Human Resource Management, Innovation and Performance: Looking across Levels ed. Shipton, H., Budhwar, P., Sparrow, P and Bimrose, J. Palgrave Macmillan.
Conferences / MDPs Attended / FDPs Attended
- Pillai, K. G. and Nair, S. R. (2012), “Metaknowledge in Organizations”, British Academy of Management Conference, September 2012.
- Nair, S. R., Demirbag, M. and Mellahi, K. (2013), “Knowledge Acquisitions by Indian Multinationals”, Conference of the Academy of International Business (AIB) - UK Chapter, March 2013, Aston Business School, UK.
- Nair, S. R., Demirbag, M. and Mellahi, K. (2013), “Reverse Knowledge Transfer: A Survey of Acquisitions by Indian MNEs”, Conference of the Academy of International Business (AIB), July 2013, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Nair, S. R., Demirbag, M. and Mellahi, K. (2013), “Reverse Knowledge Transfer from Overseas Acquisitions”, Annual Strategic Management Society (SMS) Conference, Atlanta, September 2013.
- Nair, S. R. and Demirbag, M (2014), “Overseas Acquisitions by Indian Multinationals – What Influences their Location Choices?”, AIB-UK, York, April 2014
- Nair, S. R., Budhwar, P. and Pillai, K. G., (2014), Organisational Innovation in Indian firms – A Multi-Level Perspective”, AIB 2014, Vancouver, June 2014
- Nair, S. R., Demirbag, M. and Mellahi, K., (2014), “Reverse Knowledge Transfer in Emerging Market Multinational Enterprises: A Study of Indian Multinationals”, AIB 2014, Vancouver, June 2014.
- Nair, S. R., (2015), “Knowledge Integration & the Effects of Combinative Capabilities in Firms”, BAM 2015 (September) conference, Portsmouth.
- Nair, S. R., Demirbag, M., Mellahi, K. and Pillai, K. G. (2016), “Benefits from Reverse Knowledge Flow – The Role of Tacitness and Collaboration”, AIB-UK 2016, London, April 2016.
- Nair, S. R. and Pillai, K. G. (2017), “Innovation among IT Managers”, AIB 2017, Dubai, July 2017. – funded by British Academy Grant
- Nair, S. R. and Pillai, K. G. (2017), “Innovation among IT Managers – Interaction Effects”, PDMA 2017, Chicago, November 2017.
- Plenary talk on “Knowledge Transfer in Multinationals – Themes & Perspectives” in February (2018) at the BSSS International Conference, Bhopal, India on Canvas of International Business: Opportunities and Challenges.
- Overcoming Managerial Constraints through TM: The Influence of Networks” – Glaister, A. J. et al. – presented at AIB 2019, Copenhagen, Denmark.
Awards And Achievements
- Awarded British Academy funded project for £9970, “Organisational Innovation in IT firms – An individual level perspective”
- Received NBS academic support excellence award 2018 at University of East Anglia, UK
- On the editorial board of Journal of Knowledge Management
- Invited plenary speech (titled “Knowledge Transfer & Multinationals – Themes & Perspectives”) at CIBOC, a two-day international conference on International Business organized by BSSS, Bhopal in February 2018.
- External examiner for Department of Economics & International Business, Anglia Ruskin University, UK since 2017.
- Reviewer for journals like British Journal of Management, Journal of World Business, International Business Review etc.